Hampton Roads Writers
The 'I AM . . .' Exercise:
One of the keys to good writing is developing confidence in your voice - finding out who you are and what you want to say.
1) Write down five words you would use to describe yourself.
2) Creates a table listing six broad categories across the top like the example given below. (I have suggested some categories, but feel free to use whatever titles you like.)
3) Fill in each of the columns with descriptive words.
4) Circle four of the words in each column. Those words, combined with their original five words, will compose your poetic pallet.
5) Use these words to create a poem.
7) The first words of the poem must be: "I am..."
3333-24 Virginia Beach Blvd., Virginia Beach, VA 23452